Whitemarsh Township is a 14.53-square mile municipality located in southeastern Montgomery County. Incorporated in 1704 as part of Philadelphia County, it was one of the 28 original communities that comprised Montgomery County upon its founding in 1784. Adjacent to the Andorra section of Philadelphia, it is surrounded in Montgomery County by Springfield, Upper Dublin, Whitpain, and Plymouth Townships and Conshohocken Borough. It is also bordered by the Schuylkill River, which separates it from Lower Merion Township.
Originally a nearly perfect rectangle, Whitemarsh underwent 2 boundary changes during the 19th century which altered this appearance. In 1850, with the incorporation of Conshohocken Borough, it lost 320 acres. Conversely, in 1876 it annexed 120 acres from Springfield Township in the Miquon area.
Regionally, Whitemarsh is well known as the home of Fort Washington State Park, Hope Lodge / Mathers Mill, Germantown Academy, Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, and McNeil Consumer Healthcare, one of the largest private employers in Montgomery County. The township is also the site of 6 golf courses: Whitemarsh Valley Country Club, Sunnybrook Country Club, Green Valley Country Club, The Ace Club, and 2 courses of the Philadelphia Cricket Club.